My Kenmore electric dryer model is 110.66812694. Some website links do not recognize this number (maybe because this dryer was manufactured in May 1998). The motor gave out (part number 279827). That part number is listed on many websites that sell dryer motors. Prices range from about $68 to $168. I figured out that the old motor was bad. I decided also to replace parts that would have wear and tear (sensors, heating coil, drum belt, seals (gaskets)). Here is my experience:
- Thank God for "Youtube". There are multiple videos on how to take apart that dryer and put it back together.
- The hardest part was removal of the motor from the blower by loosening the nylon nut of the blower from the motor. Many others also stated that it was very hard. Some broke the blower trying to remove it from the motor. My recommendation after removing the back motor strap with a screwdriver (also not easy) is to clamp on a vise grip to the blower nut on the back (square - nylon). Leave front strap on until blower connection is loosened. Then use a wrench on the front of the motor to break loose the tight nut (the vise grip will lock against the side of the dryer) . You might even need a cheater bar for that. Remember that the blower nut has reverse threads. Youtube videos show you which way to turn.
- I purchased the cheapest motor at $68 (made in China). After putting everything together I turned on the dryer. That motor made a very very loud noise. Probably something wrong with it. Not safe. I returned it and got my money back.
- I then went to Sears parts online and ordered one for $91.80. After they discounted it, I paid only $81.05 plus state sales tax. No shipping costs because I did a store pickup.
- This motor was made in Mexico. Looked identical to my old one. However, the instructions give some complicated rewiring instructions for the harness that plugs into the motor and for the motor. Very confusing and the diagrams were very poor quality. Still studying if I really need to cut wiring harness wires in order to adapt to the motor. The shipping box also supplied two wire terminals to crimp to cut wires but the instructions imply you need to cut up to 5 wires to adapt to the motor. Not happy with these instructions.
- Will be glad to followup after I finally install the motor in the next 2 days
Reason of review: DIY INSTRUCTIONS.
Monetary Loss: $82.
Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.
I liked: Fast delivery.
I didn't like: Diy instructions on how to install the product.